

**Eastern Shore District High  
School Steering Team (SST) Meeting #5  
March 22, 2023**

**Meeting Minutes**

---

**Date:** Mar 22, 2023

**Time:** 6:30-7:40 pm

**Location:** Microsoft Teams

**Attendees:**

<b>Name</b>	<b>Organization</b>
Peter Wicha	Facilitator, HRCE
Cory Schlievert	Project Director, Strategic Policy & Research, EECD
Darrell MacDonald	Director of Education Facilities Project Services, DPW
Kavita Khanna	Director of Operations, HRCE
Matt Flewwelling	Capital Manager, HRCE
Allison Penwell	Band Teacher, ESDH & Gaetz Brook
David Webber	Manger, Dept. Public Works (DPW)
Jen Murray	Principal, ESDH (and appointed principal for new build)
Kelly Hale	Vice Principal, Oyster Pond
Krista Ranahan	Manager of Building Infrastructure, Dept. Public Works
Leanne Wrathall	Parent Representative
Melanie Ross-Breen	Acting Principal of Halifax Arts, HRCE
Natalie Stevens	Teacher, ESDH
Samantha Lang	Administrative Assistant of Operations, HRCE
Richard White	East Point
Kent Walker	Project Manager, Marco (the General Contractor)
Kavita Khanna	Director of Operations, HRCE

**Call to Order: 6:35pm by Peter Wicha**

Round Table attendance.

## 1. Discuss Latest Update on Construction

David gave an overview of the latest update on construction noting that underground services are mostly set up and the footprint of the building has been established.

Kent/David noted that 80-90% of the foundation work is complete, and gave some targeted timelines:

- End of March-underground plumbing expected to be complete.
- Mid-April to Late-May-quads and low barring masonry walls expected to be installed.
- Beginning of June to Late-July –precast panels expected to be installed.
- Roof membrane and interior flooring to commence after the above-referenced installs are completed.
- Ken noted by the end of July 2023 the exterior building components should be complete.
- End of August-expected to have the field completed; to allow for the field to sit for a year before being utilized as this is the recommended practice/timeline.

**Q-JM:** In the past, staff were able to review floor plans and make slight tweaks that minimally impacted budget, timeline, and scope of work; but greatly impacted our school-day/workflow (i.e. adaptations for a hearing impaired staff member). Is this an opportunity that will be extended for this project/has there been time allotted for us to review the floor plans and provide comments?

**KK:** Would it be possible to get full size drawings for both Gaetz brook and ESDH for HRCE to facilitate getting feedback? Given the current stages of the project, we understand any changes requested would need to not alter the schedule and would be under review and approval.

**DW:** I can provide drawings to Kavita or an alternate HRCE staff (at one of our meetings). Please be mindful that the design was noted as complete, and orders have already begun to be placed based on these drawings. We will need to be mindful of our project timeline, budget, etc., in accommodating needs/requests brought forward but will support changes as best as we are able to.

**KK:** David can provide Matt with hard copy and electronic copies of the drawings for mark up and discussions. Matt and Kavita to discuss meeting opportunities to review drawings as a group, with principal support (Jen noted hard copy would be preferred from school perspective), and how best to present the collaborative requested changes to DPW, pending of course approvals, budget, scope of project, etc.

## 2. Status of Tender Packages

David noted this is considered a collaborative design build project, which means that the project is composed of smaller tender packages broken down by various parts of the build.

- There are three main tender packages: architectural, mechanical, and electrical, which have all been awarded. In addition to these main tender packages, there are additional smaller tender packages.
- Most tender packages have already been awarded.

**Q-LW:** With the bigger tender packages already having been awarded, do we have a projected timeline for completion of the school?

**DW:** Our target date is for a Sept 2024 school opening. Contractor completion would be expected to be completed several months prior as there is still a lot of activity expected from HRCE to organize in preparation for school's opening.

**LW:** Is that a hard deadline or soft deadline with current supply chains?

**DW:** We are saying it is our target deadline but understand that supply chains may affect our dates. That said, Marco is doing a great job in trying to ensure early ordering to help keep us on both on timeline and on budget.

LW: What about the site work to date, how did that go, my understanding is we don't know the budget, but is it currently on/under budget?

DW: The build is currently going as expected. The site required a large amount of clearance work to make it a suitable site for placing a building on.

### 3. Update on HRM Traffic Study

Darrell noted the final version of the Traffic Impact Study has been received and reviewed. Darrell has contacted the Highway Division to look at options/opportunities to explore expanding the interchange to accommodate two more ramps – as was recommended by the study. This will largely be based on funding, and approval from the Highway Division but is something we are hoping they are able to support. If this is something they could support, our expectation would be that if approved, it would be implemented and ready to use several months post-school opening.

The Traffic Impact Study also recommended expansion work to be completed at the beginning of Motts drive to accommodate a left and right turning lane.

### 4. Discuss Request to Connect to Existing Trail System

Darrell provided clarification for the trail location, which was identified as coming from Motts drive into the school's parking lot area and would connect to Blueberry Run Trail. Darrell noted we could support this request, but we would require additional approvals for funding.

Q- KK: Is this something typically supported by HRM, and is this on HRM land or Provincial-land?

DMac- I believe Motts drive would be HRM land, I don't believe it would be provincial. I am not sure who typically would provide funding for this work.

KK- Darrell, can you send some info to me to provide to HRM Parks Division and I will reach out to them stating that we've received a request from community members advocating for this, and we are requesting HRM's consideration to approve this request as part of their capital budget plan and scope. I feel this work would be best sponsored and supported by HRM.

JM- Kavita, when reaching out to HRM, you could also add how this would add a safety component for our students to access the school site, since there is a lot of heavy driving equipment that utilizes Motts drive and poses a potential safety risk for our students.

### 5. Update on various art projects

Melanie provided an update on the three various projects that are being organized and completed with collaboration of our students and Fine Arts specialists.

- Petroglyph Projects – these pieces of art will be derived from student engagement with the assistance of our fine arts specialists. The students were invited to participate in petroglyph presentations (that were targeted to various age groups), and were given the opportunity to create petroglyphs in a variety of ways depending on their age and skills level representing “What makes your community unique?” and “What do you love about your community?” These petroglyphs presentations showed how petroglyphs are made (including metal embossing, using clay, rubber stamping). Paul O’Toole will be supporting the students and supporting the install of these projects as one of our Fine Arts Specialists.
- Vinyl on Glass Projects – Submission for these works is expected May 26<sup>th</sup>. This is another opportunity for student engagement with the assistance of Paul O’Toole.
- Mosaic in the Vinyl Flooring – Colin Briggs and Melissa McCulloch as part of our Indigenous Fine Arts Specialist team, has been working on composing an eight-pointed star to represent

our Mi'kmaq community. This will be composed of a specific colour palette and vinyl materials, and will be integrated as part of the floor in the school.

JM: Please be mindful of the location of the eight-pointed star as both the location of the star, and the star's direction are important to the Indigenous community.

KW: We can place the star wherever requested, even if mixing floor materials is required; the only difference is it requires different prep-work.

DMac: In review of the floor plan (shares floorplan), I believe this (identifies circular image at hallway intersection) is where the star is being placed; at the crossroads of two major hallways.

## 6. Additions to Agenda

DW: Oftentimes as we near school construction completion, the name of the building is decided to be changed. We've been working off the name ESD 7-12, and as we move along the project there will be various equipment, software etc. utilizing this name. Should there be a request for a different name, or it being a consideration, we would encourage HRCE to discuss the desire for a name change as early as possible with us to ensure consistency in naming throughout the project. As an aside, we now have a physical address for the site; 210 Motts Drive.

KK: Typically, our process for selecting a new name for an existing school is that the Principal decides if they would like to change the name. Jen and Kavita or Debbie can discuss if there will be changes to the name ensuring that both schools are accurately reflected in renaming. We will ensure to get this information to you as soon as possible to minimize impacts to the project timeline.

JM: This process typically involves some community involvement and our feeder schools. Renaming also impacts things like our school mascot and other things we do for engagement. We want to ensure all stakeholders are involved and build some momentum and excitement in the community.

LW: The community is interested in knowing more about the project. The MLA recently (approximately a month ago) discussed the later projected timeline/delay, but it would benefit the community to see more public communications. When can we expect more communications to unfold?

KK: HRCE will be sharing the SST minutes and Project Status Updates on our website in the next 7 days. There will also be communications circulated to the SST Committee and our student's families. Going forward the public can expect to see project updates on a quarterly basis on the HRCE's website.

LW: Are we able to have the Traffic Impact Study included? As well as the interest/desire in ramps and the widening of Motts Drive, as per the recommendations from the Study. These would be points of interest to the community.

KK: These items will be covered in the SST minutes once shared on HRCE's website. Darrell can share more details as required.

DMac: The Traffic Study is a very large, detailed document. I can work on composing something that is more public/user-friendly for HRCE's use and distribution.

KH: Where the field will be sitting unoccupied for a year, will there be fencing around it to ensure it's not compromised?

DMac: There is an expectation that if the natural field remains unfenced, the field could be compromised due to local trucks and ATV's.

KH: Yes, the use of ATV's on school fields are being noticed in other schools when the fields are not fenced. The grooves that are left by recreational vehicles are long-lasting and impact our ability to use these spaces for school activities and we want to minimize any potential loss of use.

DW: We will double check the fencing expectations and make provisions if required to help protect the field in its unused state with this information in mind.

Peter requested the email addresses from Jen of the students who were in attendance/invited as part of the SST historically to ensure their inclusion on future invites.

Darrell MacDonald shared a virtual walk through of the exterior of the site showing landscaping, and the exterior school build. Kavita requested that Darrell share the file with her for it to be posted on HRCE's website.

## 7. Next meeting – TBD

## 8. Adjournment

Meeting adjourned by Peter Wicha at 7:40pm March 22, 2023  
Minutes approved by HRCE, EECD and DPW

DRAFT